Sunday, June 2, 2019

Sunday Post!

June 2, 2019 (Sunday)
Considering the visit to the Appalachia Museum, what did you find most interesting?  Compare and contrast health disparities between Appalachian and the non-Appalachian communities.  What are some strong core values commonly found among the Appalachian culture?  How does the Appalachian life compare to your own way of living?

I found a lot of things interesting at the museum. I enjoyed reading all of the signs about how much the loved their culture and "what we had is what we made ourselves." I really enjoyed that what we use as a bedpan today they used as a "Ukuweewee Banjo." What I thought was most interesting was learning about Dr. Odie Miller, he was the blind doctor of Big Valley. He became blinded by drinking poisoned moonshine. However, he continued to practice medicine by hiring a driver to take him around. 

"Appalachian North Carolina’s stroke mortality rate is 13 percent higher than the national rate and 3 percent lower than the rate in non-Appalachian North Carolina." This is due to the lack of medical facilities being close enough to be able to handle this medical emergency. In Appalachian diabetes, COPD, mental health, obesity, and cancer have a significantly higher mortality rate than non-Appalachia communities due to not being able to adequately care for yourself due to the distance to the facility, not having enough money, no way of transportation, and a lack of education are just a few reasons for this. 

Strong core values that are found among Appalachian culture is they love their land, mountains, family, and culture. They are very prideful in what they have and what they make. The Appalachia life compares to my way of living is I am proud of what I have. I work very hard every day to have what I have. I love my home. Most of all my life compares because I love my family and culture. My culture is symbolic of me and represents what I believe and who I am. 



Fact Sheets and Infographics. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.arc.gov/appalachian_region/FactSheets.asp#Disparities

1 comment:

  1. You mentioned there are many similarities between the Appalachian culture and your own culture/beliefs, but what is different or unique? Do they have the same access to what they need as you do? How would being an AMT differ in this area, compared to central Illinois?

    ReplyDelete